In the context of the most cultivated agroenergy biomass in the world, sugarcane is one of the most ecological and sustainable, fundamental for the economy, reduction of carbon dioxide emissions, quality of life in urban centers and global improvement of the environment. It is not known for sure its origin, many believe that sugarcane was first cultivated in New Guinea, where it was considered a wild and ornamental plant.
Sugarcane consists of the stalk – formed by several culms, which are divided between each other and made up of fibers (cellulose, hemicelluloses and lignin) and sugar (sucrose, fructose and glucose) and leaves – composed of green leaves and dried leaves, also called straw. Regarding the sugarcane mass composition, the three main components (straw, bagasse and juice) are practically in the same proportions and together represent 43% of the plant mass content, the remaining 57% are represented by water. In energy terms, the same proportionality is verified among the sugarcane constituents, giving about 7,400 MJ of energy content.
Straw and bagasse are mostly used for a number of agronomic benefits for example: weed control, moisture retention, animal feed and improving soil physical, chemical and biological properties. However, due to the significant amount that is generated, its composition and, consequently, the chemical and energetic potential of the vegetable fiber, it is possible to use part of these materials in a more noble use, both chemically and energetically, without any damage to agronomic benefits through processes involving the different biorefinery platforms – chemical route, biochemical route and thermochemical route.
Thinking about this optimistic scenario, which involves the integral and sustainable use of sugarcane through the different biorefinery platforms, I happily announce the launch of my new book “Sugarcane Biorefinery, Technology and Perspectives”, ISSN 9780128142363, published by the prestigious Elsevier Publisher. The book provides the reader with a current overview of the global scenario of sugarcane biorefinery. It explores existing biorefinery platforms that can be used to convert sugarcane biomass into new value-added products. It also addresses one of today’s most controversial issues involving “energy cane” as well as the “sugar cane versus food versus environment” dilemma, adding even more value in a culture that is already a symbol of case study all around the world. Divided into 13 chapters, prepared by some of the leading authorities on each of the topics addressed, the work is an important contribution to the dissemination of knowledge and the consolidation of sugarcane biorefinery in the world. This book is essential for researchers, undergraduate and graduate students, professionals in the sugar and energy industry, as well as people interested in the field of sugarcane biorefinery. The future of biorefinery has begun!
For more information: https://bit.ly/38rBlgr
Prof. Dr. Fernando Santos